Updating the IgnitionDeck Plugins & Themes
With an active license to the IgnitionDeck plugins, update notifications will automatically be displayed on your site in the Plugins and Updates screens of the WordPress admin for the plugins, and the Themes and Updates screens for the themes.
Please note that due to custom configurations, the update notifications may be suppressed or otherwise hidden.
Individual Automatic Update Method:
- Go to your WordPress Plugins or Updates screen
- Deactivate the plugins to be updates (see best practices)
- Click ‘Update’ inside the plugin row
- Once updated, the plugins should be activated automatically. If not, make sure to re-activate it yourself.
Dependency Update Method:
This method works with the dependency plugins—IgnitionDeck Crowdfunding and IgnitionDeck Commerce
- Go to your WordPress Plugins screen, at the top of the page there will be a notice that there is an update for one of more of the dependency plugins (IgnitionDeck Commerce and/or IgnitionDeck Crowdfunding):
- Click the Begin updating plugins link. This will take you to a new page which will display the plugins that require updating along with information on your current version and the version to be updated to. Click the Update link beneath each plugin:
- Alternatively, you can click the Update Required link for each plugin that has an update pending right from the main Plugins page
Manual Update via FTP Method:
- Deactivate the plugins in the Plugins screen (see best practices)
- Download and unzip the latest plugin file from your IgnitionDeck.com account to your computer
- Connect to the site using FTP
- Upload and overwrite prior installation (wp-content/plugins/plugin-name/ folder).
- Re-activate the plugins.
Note: The same process can be done for the themes either using the Automatic or Manual method. It is not necessary to deactivate the theme; however, in order to conduct the update as the theme does not alter the functionality of the site and is unlikely to cause a major error if the update is interrupted.
WordPress Best Practices for Updates:
- It is highly advisable before doing any updates to your site whether to the WP core, plugins, or themes, that you create a backup of the site using a backup plugin, staging site or backup service offered by the hosting provider. While every step is taken for a smooth update process, elements beyond our control can occur (i.e. interruptions to server or internet connections, etc.)
- Temporarily deactivation of plugins before running updates is also a good practice to prevent conflicts with other activities happening simultaneously on your site. Deactivate the plugins in the following order:
- IgnitionDeck Commerce,
- IgnitionDeck Crowdfunding,
- Reactivate the plugin in the opposite order:
- IgnitionDeck Crowdfunding,
- IgnitionDeck Commerce
- Do not delete the IgnitionDeck Crowdfunding or IgnitionDeck Commerce plugin via the WordPress plugins screen as this will remove IgnitionDeck data and tables from your database. Your content will be lost forever unless you have a backup of your database to restore from.